About this memory
Lawnmarket is the section of Edinburgh's Royal Mile running from its junction with Johnston Terrace to where it meets George IV Bridge. Regular markets were held in this area until the late 18th century.
The Tolbooth Church, otherwise known as Victoria Hall or St John's Highland Tolbooth Kirk, was built in 1842-44 as both a parish church and a meeting place for the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland. The General Assembly ceased to use the building when they relocated to 'Assembly Hall' on the Mound in 1929. The Church's congregation left the building in 1979, amalgamating with the congregation of Greyfriars Kirk. The Church fell into disuse but was revived in 1999 as 'The Hub', an information centre, ticket office, and venue for the Edinburgh International Festival.
Lawnmarket, Edinburgh, Old Town