About this memory
The Shore in Leith runs along the east side of the Water of Leith where it joins the Firth of Forth. For many centuries the Shore was the trading centre of Leith. Vessels were loaded and unloaded here from mediaeval times until the construction of new docks in the early 19th century. The Shore has also been the site of several royal disembarkations, including Mary queen of Scots arrival from France in 1560, and George IV's visit in 1822. The Shore is now geared more towards social, rather than commercial interaction, with several well known pubs and restaurants.