Skip to content Skip to footer

Bertrams Dinner Dance, late-1960s

1968

About this memory

First established in 1821 by brothers George and William Bertram, Bertrams was an engineering company that manufactured machinery for the papermaking industry. It had a plant, St Katherine's Works, at Sciennes and a foundry was established off Leith Walk as a separate company by a younger brother James in 1845. In the 1920s a foundry was acquired at Westfield Avenue in Gorgie. The business declined in the 1970s and was closed down by the mid-1980s.

Donor number: 0457-002

Latest comments