Saughton House Entrance on the Old Calder Road (Picture 2)
About this memory
The building in the bottom right hand corner on the north side of the old Calder Road, known as Old Neds House, was the Lodge or Gatehouse for Saughton House.
It stood next to a driveway leading off to the right down the treeline to Saughton House.
Old Ned was probably Edward Towsey who farmed what were the grounds of the House after the House was destroyed by fire on 1st February 1918.
The buildings in the field at the top of the picture are the remaining buildings of Shaws Dairy Farm, also known as Old Saughton Farm.
Shaws and the neighbouring Towseys were just two of the many small farms which stretched from Saughton out to Hermiston and beyond, along both sides of the old Calder Road.
The line of trees on the right are the western boundary of Towseys Farm.
The houses top and left were built between 1946 and 1950 and are part of the Broomhouse Estate.
St Josephs Roman Catholic Primary School was built in the1950s and demolished in the early 2000s when a new school was built nearby.
Now covered by the Fairbrae Housing estate
Thanks to Yvonne Clarke from the Murrayburn/ Sighthill/Parkhead Facebook Group for the photo.
Discuss this memory