About this memory
St David’s Broomhouse began in a wooden hut at Broomhouse Bank which was vacated on the formation of St. Nicolas Sighthill on 8 September 1957. The parish of St Nicolas was divided by Edinburgh Presbytery who decided that both Sighthill and Broomhouse could each sustain a Church of their own. A number of people in Broomhouse stayed on and continued to worship in the “Old Hut” as it became known and it was used for worship until the present church was opened in 1965.
In 1959, the site of the old Saughton farmhouse was acquired by the Church of Scotland Extension Committee to build a new Church for the Broomhouse congregation.
Building of the new site commenced with the founding stone being laid on the 27th July 1963 and it was with great anticipation and much joy that the formal dedication of the present Church and a suite of Halls took place on 30th January 1965.
Thanks to the Church for the photo and information.